COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. & DOWNERS GROVE, Ill., November 12, 2014 - Since partnering with the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) as an official education provider of Team USA in November 2011, DeVry University has provided higher education opportunities at the undergraduate and graduate levels for more than 180 Team USA athletes. As of today, six Team USA athletes have graduated, with four additional athletes expected to graduate in December, including three-time Olympian in luge Tony Benshoof; 2016 Olympic rugby hopeful Ryan Carlyle; and Olympic track and field athletes James Davis and Tim Harden.
“For me, going back to school has been a balancing act,” said Will Brady, a recent DeVry University graduate and modern pentathlete. “It’s included juggling school projects and deadlines during competitions abroad, maintaining a rigorous training schedule, working and finding time for my family, including my young daughter. At times it was a struggle, but that is what made this journey such a rewarding experience. I am proud of myself for going back to school and thankful for the support I’ve received along the way from DeVry University and the USOC.” Brady was one of the original six student athletes to enroll in November 2011.
Among the Team USA athletes who have recently graduated from DeVry University or its Keller Graduate School of Management, or are expected to graduate this December are:
- Mike Alexandrov (2004, 2008 Olympian for Bulgaria in swimming; joined USA swimming in 2009) – Master of Business Administration, concentration in human resources
- Tony Benshoof (2002, 2006, 2010 Olympian in luge) – Master of Business Administration, concentration in hospitality management
- Will Brady (modern pentathlon) – Bachelor of Science in Multimedia Design and Development, concentration in graphic and multimedia design
- Ryan Carlyle (rugby) – Master of Business Administration, concentration in international business
- James Davis (track and field) – Master of Business Administration, concentration in finance
- Erin Donohue (2008 Olympian in track and field) – Master of Accounting and Financial Management, concentration in CPA exam preparation
- Alexandra Harbord (canoe) – Master of Public Administration, concentration in nonprofit management
- Tim Harden (1996 Olympian in track and field) – Bachelor of Science in Technical Management, concentration in health services management
- Clinton Jones (2002, 2006 Olympian in ski jumping) – Associate of Applied Science in Web Graphic Design
To encourage their fellow classmates to finish strong, these Team USA athletes have teamed up to provide their personal #Reasons2Finish in a video featured on Team USA’s and DeVry University’s social and digital platforms. To view their stories, click here.
“We are incredibly proud of all the Team USA athletes who pursue higher education opportunities, and thankful for DeVry University’s partnership in helping many of them achieve their goals,” said Benita Fitzgerald Mosley, who oversees athlete career and education services as the USOC’s chief of organizational excellence.
“We take great pride in educating our Team USA student athletes and are proud to see them ready to pursue their career goals,” said Robert Paul, president of DeVry University. “Graduation is a milestone in one’s career journey. We hope the stories of our student athletes inspire others to never give up on their educational pursuits -- that graduation is the springboard to a lifetime of success. We offer our sincerest congratulations to all our graduates for persevering and achieving their educational goals.”
About the USOC
Founded in 1894 and headquartered in Colorado Springs, CO., the U.S. Olympic Committee serves as both the National Olympic Committee and National Paralympic Committee for the United States. As such, the USOC is responsible for the training, entering and funding of U.S. teams for the Olympic, Paralympic, Youth Olympic, Pan American and Parapan American Games, while serving as a steward of the Olympic and Paralympic Movements throughout the country. For more information, visit TeamUSA.org.
About DeVry University
DeVry University’s mission is to foster student learning through high-quality, career-oriented education integrating technology, business, science and the arts. Founded in 1931, the university offers undergraduate and graduate degree programs onsite and online covering 34 different career fields within its five distinguished colleges of study: Business & Management, Engineering & Information Sciences, Health Sciences, Liberal Arts & Sciences, and Media Arts & Technology. The university is institutionally accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, www.ncahlc.org. DeVry University provides an education that prepares its students for a lifetime of success with dedicated faculty and staff who are committed to their students’ academic success. Its highly credentialed faculty members work in the fields that they teach, providing real-world experiences that prepare students for in-demand careers.
With more than 85 locations in the U.S., DeVry University is one of the largest private-sector universities in North America. The university is a part of DeVry Education Group (NYSE: DV), a global provider of educational services. Find DeVry University on Twitter @DeVryUniv and Facebook at /DEVRYUNIVERSITY, or visit newsroom.devry.edu.